Don't Miss A Thing!

**** I have a tendency to write several blog posts in one sitting. I like to think of it as time management when I have a big block of time to sit down and get caught up. If you check in on the blog from time to time... be sure to scroll down, and you may have to even click onto the next page to be sure you've gotten all the latest Ramsey news. (Blogger has restricted the number of posts I can have on the first page, so I never know what exactly is coming up). Thanks for checking in with us, and following along on Our Great Life Adventure! ****

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Stawamus Chief

Located about 15 minutes from our house is The Stawamus Chief Mountain in Squamish. I think I've mentioned it before. The Stawamus Chief, an old magma chamber of an ancient volcano and the world's second largest granite monolith, was revealed as ice eroded the weaker rock during the recession of the Ice Age about 10,000 years ago. The above picture is one side of "The Big Chief" as it's casually known around the area. (I know - enough history lesson)

Well... for Jen and Kyle's final full day I suggested they check it out for a nice hike (it's also connected to Shannon Falls). It was a decent day outside and thought it would be nice for them to do something on their own (not to mention you're kind of limited with what you can do with a little person under 2). So of course they took my advice - I wouldn't send them anywhere dangerous.... well not intentionally.



The path up the mountain seemed to be in two sections - the first was just a good hike, but nothing outrageously challenging. So despite all the warnings on this sign... The Guymons were ready to charge onwards and upwards.


(Picture above and below) -Parts of the Mountain they had to climb... I would have said... "What? No thanks - I got my pictures so let's slide down and get home!" But they were troopers and determined to go on.



Above: I think Jen is wondering exactly what kind of adventure I sent them on as she has to use CHAINS to pull herself up a mountain.
Kyle ahead of Jen checking things out. At some point (mind you no rock climbing materials or even hiking shoes) Jen and Kyle decided it was time to turn back as it was dusk and didn't want to be on the mountain in the dark... who can blame them, there are Black Bears that come out in the evening!


On the way up Jen and Kyle found a nice place to grab a photo op.

Now I'm aware if you're an experienced climber this is no big deal, in fact it's what you want and people travel all over the world for this. But... we found some humor (once they were home safe) at what I thought would be a "steep hike" to "intense climb with chains and balancing on the edge at times".

No comments: