Don't Miss A Thing!

**** I have a tendency to write several blog posts in one sitting. I like to think of it as time management when I have a big block of time to sit down and get caught up. If you check in on the blog from time to time... be sure to scroll down, and you may have to even click onto the next page to be sure you've gotten all the latest Ramsey news. (Blogger has restricted the number of posts I can have on the first page, so I never know what exactly is coming up). Thanks for checking in with us, and following along on Our Great Life Adventure! ****

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'm no Betty Crocker

It's so disappointing... some people just have a knack for the kitchen. I desperately wish I was one of those people. Even when I follow directions exactly it never tastes like I had it the first time when someone else made it. But living out here with no take out or delivery has forced me to try over and over again... every day. I'm getting a little better and if nothing else, I'm learning at lot...
Tomorrow I'm hosting a play date for the few kids in our neighborhood and thought I would try and make a tasty fall treat, something pumpkin or spice... and I came up with ginger snaps. Here are a few of the things I learned from this effort:
- Read the label carefully when buying ingredients. When I got home I realized I ended up with whole wheat all purpose flour. At first I thought maybe it wasn't a bad thing - until I had to sift it...
- I remember being a little girl and helping my Grandma bake... she baked everything from scratch. My job was "the sifter". I loved it and I remembered it being pretty easy. I was excited to use the sifter we got as a wedding present for the first time. But... it wasn't like I remembered. This was kind of hard work and it wasn't really working??? Hmmm... I was stumped but I kept with it and about half way through I realize that it's because it's wheat flour... the bits of whole wheat will not go through the sifter.
- Aprons... now I know why bakers wear them. I made a bit of a mess on myself with the molasses. Maybe if I'm going to take this domesticated thing to the next level I need to add one to the Xmas list.
- Portions - I've been slow in getting this. I need to remember to cut ALL recipes in half. It's just really Chad and I, Braden really just tries things and I always wind up making way too much. For instance... I ended up with 36 cookies. Sure there will a total of 7 of us here tomorrow, but I could have had half the cookies and had plenty.
After all of that babble... I have a picture of the final product and actually, they taste pretty good...good enough I can actually offer them to our guests tomorrow.

3 comments:

Mitzi said...

Monica, I'm so proud of you! From one woman who is challenged in the kitchen to another, I know how hard that must have been. Congratulations!

Heather said...

You have attempted way more than I EVER would have! They look delicious. BTW-I love reading your thoughts about life! It is so amusing and what every other mother out there is thinking!

Anonymous said...

Monica...I am so proud of you!!! I wish I could try your cookies. Have fun at the playdate!!! Hopefully, you will share pictures with all of us.