Don't Miss A Thing!

**** I have a tendency to write several blog posts in one sitting. I like to think of it as time management when I have a big block of time to sit down and get caught up. If you check in on the blog from time to time... be sure to scroll down, and you may have to even click onto the next page to be sure you've gotten all the latest Ramsey news. (Blogger has restricted the number of posts I can have on the first page, so I never know what exactly is coming up). Thanks for checking in with us, and following along on Our Great Life Adventure! ****

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Escape Artist


I'm expanding a bit on the sleeping chaos of our son while we were gone. If you're willing - stick through the story, I have a point by the end.

Typically at home he sleeps 11 hours at night (down by 8:00) and gets a 3 hour nap. Well... while we were gone the longest nap was 2 hours, and I think that only happened 3 days. It was more like sleeping in the car or on stroller walk for 30 minutes to an hour here or there. But that was somewhat tolerable, Braden actually wasn't a huge crab or anything. It was more because selfishly I really miss my girlfriends and was looking forward to the time to visit with them at full concentration, rather than chasing a slaphappy toddler around. But that wasn't even the hard part. It was bedtime... he can easily crawl out of the travel play yard... as well as Grandma Ramsey's crib. So,what does that mean? It means that we couldn't let him "cry it out" because he'd just get out, open the door and look for us. He was telling us he wanted to "Sleep in Bed". It was difficult outside the comfort of home and in front of other people to try for the first time the "Super Nanny" training. Which meant we had to read, watch a video and rock him to get him to sleep first in the bed and transfer him to the play yard. The entire process took from 45 minutes to 90 minutes... ugh! Other moms out there may wonder, just let him sleep in the bed? Well my answer is that he's never been sleeping in beds, he moves around a lot and I thought he would roll off - but regardless - we tried that too and it didn't work.
So... we get home last night. The kid falls asleep in his crib without a whimper in less than 2 minutes. We were relieved. We also knew he wouldn't crawl out of his crib since it's much higher off the ground and he was comfortable so there would be no need to escape. Well... 5am this morning Chad and I heard the click of the door and a little man walking into our room. Maybe I was sleepy and delirious, but I am pretty sure Chad and I looked at each other and said, "Oh Crap" at the same time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are going to have to put him in a "Big Boy Bed" sooner rather than later!!:) It was so good to spend time with the three of you.

Christine said...

I see a new bed in his future. Maybe a bigger one for you and Chad too. I am dreading this too. Let me know how it all works out.

Unknown said...

This story makes me laugh, and that picture makes him seem like such a little hellion! Like father, like son.