Don't Miss A Thing!

**** I have a tendency to write several blog posts in one sitting. I like to think of it as time management when I have a big block of time to sit down and get caught up. If you check in on the blog from time to time... be sure to scroll down, and you may have to even click onto the next page to be sure you've gotten all the latest Ramsey news. (Blogger has restricted the number of posts I can have on the first page, so I never know what exactly is coming up). Thanks for checking in with us, and following along on Our Great Life Adventure! ****

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Follow up

Maybe you thought I forgot... maybe you don't care, but for those of you that follow the blog I wrote a few weeks ago about the British Columbia alcohol tax and was determined to get to the bottom of it. Reference this post if you need to... http://ramseysinvancouver.blogspot.com/2008_09_01_archive.html#4531997353410181926

Ok... well a few weeks later and I have an answer to the question, and I had gotten half right information - which is pretty crazy. Seems wine is taxed at a total of 122%!!! No wonder I haven't been able to find anything for less than $15, no Two Buck Chuck in these neck of the woods. Below I copied the email I got in response to my question.

Monica: I am replying to you attached e-mail regarding alcohol pricing.The Liquor Distribution Branch applies a mark-up on the price of products purchased from suppliers which varies depending on product category. For wine our mark-up is 117%. There is also provincial sales tax of 10% and GST of 5% that is applied. Thank you for writing.
Gord Hall
Director, Corporate Policy
Liquor Distribution Branch
Ministry of Housing and Social Development
Province of British Columbia

2 comments:

Heather said...

The funniest part is you actually emailed someone about this!

Unknown said...

That's ridiculous! So, you're saying random bottles of wine in the mail would be nice...do you think you could drive across the border and bring cases back? The Washington/Oregon Pinot Noir is amazing. Maybe you could shoot down there and smuggle it across the border? Sounds like an adventure...