Don't Miss A Thing!

**** I have a tendency to write several blog posts in one sitting. I like to think of it as time management when I have a big block of time to sit down and get caught up. If you check in on the blog from time to time... be sure to scroll down, and you may have to even click onto the next page to be sure you've gotten all the latest Ramsey news. (Blogger has restricted the number of posts I can have on the first page, so I never know what exactly is coming up). Thanks for checking in with us, and following along on Our Great Life Adventure! ****

Saturday, September 6, 2008

117% What??? It's still worth it!

WARNING - I am not sure that this post is all that clearly written. But I guess it kind of appropriate because maybe you'll understand how clueless I am. Please note - this post is not alcohol impaired, I've only had one beer (should I admit that or should I pretend I've had half a dozen?)

Tonight is the first drink bit of alcohol I've had since June 22. I decided that I'd ease back into things and simply enjoy kicking back with my Canadian favorite, Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale (I posted a brief history about it here back in April - http://ramseysinvancouver.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html#1768217639888615590)

Well let me tell you it's some good stuff... although it's very expensive - in fact all beer is expensive here in BC (British Columbia for those of you who wouldn't automatically know that). In the states you can get a 12 pack of Miller Lite/Bud Light for $9.99... the beer I'm drinking tonight is $21.00 for a 12 pack. I should also point out that all liquor in the province (state) of British Columbia is regulated by the government and sold at BC Liquors and a few approved rural "satellite" locations.

Back to my story - I casually mentioned that I was surprised it was more than twice as expensive and asked if there was a different brand of beer I should be buying - for all I know I'm buying the priciest beer out there.

I must have "gullible" written on my forehead... maybe it's because I was chatting with them awhile and mentioned I was from "The States". The clerk told me it's so expensive because liquor is taxed at 117%!!! On the way home I made a mental note to blog about the crazy alcohol tax... and JUST before I did I thought to myself "This seems a bit insane... residents wouldn't accept that would they?" So, I jumped to research this and I couldn't find a clear answer. I think I figured out that if I added a 4 taxes together Government (GST), Provincial (PST), Consumption and separate Alcohol Tax it would be 17% - but is that because I was looking for a logical answer to the guy pulling my leg by obnoxiously adding another 100%? So I called a BC Liquor Store, I told the person what the clerk told me... she had no answer for me and said she didn't know, but I'm pretty sure she thought I was a total idiot. I emailed their headquarters to see if I can get a legit answer.

What does all of this mean? It means: 1) I think I deserve the "gullible" stamp on my forehead because for awhile I totally believed it 2) I am on a mission to get the right answer 3) Even if the tax was 117% I still bought it, and I will again because it's a nice treat once in awhile 4) And finally... who cares if it's twice the price as US beer... it's also twice as strong!

No comments: