Don't Miss A Thing!

**** I have a tendency to write several blog posts in one sitting. I like to think of it as time management when I have a big block of time to sit down and get caught up. If you check in on the blog from time to time... be sure to scroll down, and you may have to even click onto the next page to be sure you've gotten all the latest Ramsey news. (Blogger has restricted the number of posts I can have on the first page, so I never know what exactly is coming up). Thanks for checking in with us, and following along on Our Great Life Adventure! ****

Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Mom Tan and other Playground thoughts

This is the first summer I have discovered something I am calling "The Mom Tan". It's my first summer season in my 30s, so maybe it's part of my getting older, or simply less willing to flaunt my 6 month pregnant belly. Actually, the belly isn't bad, it's my thighs... what happened to them? (Shudder!)
The Mom Tan is one that reminds of when I was 13 years old, and a caddy at Ravisloe Country Club. I had awful tan lines on my legs from my shorts (and the whitest feet ever from my socks) but the tannest legs on record (my arms too). However, my tummy, the tops of my legs and my chest... white as the dead of winter. While enjoying this fabulous weather we've had lately I've gotten some color... but I'm not wearing a bikini to the playground! So my tan lines are... a bit annoying. And I don't see how I'll be getting rid of them. Throw being PG in the mix and it's not like I can lay on my tummy to get the back of my legs while Braden naps... so my legs... from the top of the knee down, and only in the front... not cute. I just thought I would give some warning to others out there about The Mom Tan.
Other playground thoughts:
- We can send people to the moon, but for some reason the majority of playgrounds are covered with rock or bark. Why can't we come up with a better solution, something safe for the kids that is one solid piece and flat? Something that not every kid wants to pick up and throw around? It adds a lot more work for the parents to try and monitor this, it's just an evil temptation for the kids. Not to mention... not ideal for sandals or flip flops in the summer time (and wearing tennis shoes and socks... didn't you just read about the mom tan... cut me a break!).
- If your child(ren) are older, please come to the park... but please try and ask them not to do dangerous acrobats off of every apparatus. I actually like that Braden can learn by watching the older kids doing things, but I don't like when he's being shown how to flip over from the top of the slide. I can respect jumping from the swings, it's sort of a rite of passage. But some of this... geesh... I have enough of a daredevil on my hands!
- Lastly, to the Parks and Rec departments... please make sure you have place for parents to sit down. Most places are pretty good about this, but some have nothing, so I'm forced to put my larger than normal PG booty on a swing that is too low to the ground, which I then discover is a bit tougher for the already mentioned larger booty and belly to get up from.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

So funny and so true...this is my first summer on record that I don't want to go sit outside in the sun. Today I had the perfect opportunity and instead I laid down on the couch with the blinds closed :(