Don't Miss A Thing!

**** I have a tendency to write several blog posts in one sitting. I like to think of it as time management when I have a big block of time to sit down and get caught up. If you check in on the blog from time to time... be sure to scroll down, and you may have to even click onto the next page to be sure you've gotten all the latest Ramsey news. (Blogger has restricted the number of posts I can have on the first page, so I never know what exactly is coming up). Thanks for checking in with us, and following along on Our Great Life Adventure! ****

Friday, March 13, 2009

Back to the good ol' US of A

This is a bit wordy, but bare with me...
We have another big announcement... the title of this blog will change from "The Ramsey's Adventure in Canada" to "The Ramsey's Great Northwest Adventure". WHY??? We're moving! Back to the United States! Let me explain...

Chad works in downtown Vancouver (when he's not traveling at least two, but usually three weeks out of the month). We now live in beautiful Furry Creek. It's a 45 minute commute for Chad and it's north of the city. Where we live now is like living at a vacation house... all the time. Things are gorgeous here, people are friendly, the house is wonderful and golf or skiing is right at Chad's disposal. Doesn't sound like we want to move anywhere does it? Well...

The major motivating factor in our decision to move is purely financial. By moving across the US border (near Bellingham) Reasons include:
- Chad will get paid in US dollars, and get his 401K contributions back.
- Rents are a lot less expensive for a house
- I won't even shock you with how expensive it's been to heat this house because it's gas heated by an individual propane tank.
- The conversion rate - We still have financial responsibilities in the US, (difference from the rent we get and our mortgage, association dues, my retirement fund, car insurance and on and on). So, for while we had to convert money each month - and wound up spending A LOT lost in the conversion rate, it made us sick to our stomach (the conversion rate today is 77 cents to the dollar, and that's a better day).
- Simple cost of living - the little things add up - groceries - you've all heard me complain of $42 for a box of 12 chicken breasts, or $18 for a pound of turkey, almost $9 for a bag of shredded cheese, $18 to dry clean one suit, gas is less expensive - I could go on - but I won't because I'm not trying to bash things here, it's been a wonderful experience. And I'm sure as our time here winds down I'll continue to be more reflective of that.
- Bummers - we won't be in the middle of the Olympics action, our next baby won't be a dual citizen, Chad (and Paul too) loved, loved the Furry Creek golf course, out neighbors have been really nice, I'll miss Wednesday morning play dates, and of course.... it's so beautiful here.

So, we were given the opportunity to move back and considering our future long term it's best that we leave.

So... now that you understand WHY? Let me give you the WHERE?

We'll be moving to Ferndale - 6 miles north of a larger town, Bellingham. This commute adds about 10-15 minutes to Chad's total commute time. They have a pass he'll get for crossing the border).
- Ferndale is a pretty small town, about 9,000 people. But it does have a grocery store and I only have to drive 5 minutes from milk or diapers, not like now where it's 20 minutes... each way.
- Bellingham is a larger town, about 75,000 (the size and things they have available kind of reminds me of Bloomington-Normal, but I'll have to actually live there and see if my comparison is way off). It's 6 miles down the highway (10 minutes) and I'll have access to Target (which isn't in Canada - on second thought... uh oh!) and other places I just can't get to from here without driving almost an hour.
- The new house has a nice backyard! Big B is going to LOVE it. And I'm going to love it too.
- The new house is literally brand new, we'll be the first to live there. It's also just the right size for us and we'll use all the space. More all that later once we get there.
- Instead of a 20 minute drive to a playground... there is one in the subdivision (yay!)
- Delivery/Take out - another one that is a pro... but also a con. Here I've been forced to do the cooking since nothing delivers. So it's nice to have that option back, but it's going to take a lot of discipline on my part to stick to limits.
- Paul and Stephanie are only 90 minutes away, that close... hope they don't get sick of us :)

I think you all get the point now... so are you wondering WHEN???

2 weeks, that's right... crazy. March 28th to be exact. The thought of moving makes me ill. But with such a short time, I can only be insane for 2 or 3 weeks and then it's over. It's not like it will hang over my head for another month or longer. I'm trying to look for the positive, but I am absolutely dreading it.

So WHAT does that mean for people that were planning to come and visit???
- Actually I think it may wind up being better. You see, Seattle is only 90 minutes away and flights from Chicago to Seattle you can catch for $200 or so. And it's a very easy drive. And we're still only an hour from Vancouver - so if you come to visit it's the same time if we stayed where we are now. The downside is Whistler is now not an easy day trip, but if that is where you want to go... we'll work it out (and I'm sure Chad would be happy to make a pit stop at Furry Creek for a round of golf!). SO - come to see Seattle, Vancouver and a place to stay in between! Plus, I've been reading about things to do in Bellingham and the San Juan Islands is easy to get to, Mt. Baker is there for skiing (and I'm still looking into Victoria). :) Don't you worry, if you still want to come - invitation is open and we can still do all the same things (maybe more!)

I'm sure I've over explained... that's what I do! I'll try not to be a crazy person the next few weeks as we pack up, unpack and get settled - that's for you Chad... I'll try not to be a crazy, emotional, pregnant wacko while we get through this transition. :)

No comments: